19 February 2009

Trumpeter Swans in Dublin, ...

Texas.

Swans (Cygnus spp.) are not Family Anatidae members that one might expect to find in central Texas.

Trumpeter Swans (Cygnus buccinator) are the largest waterfowl in North America. They have over 35,000 feathers and their downy layer is two-inches thick. So they aren't too adverse toward cold weather. While most trumpeters spend the spring and summer nesting season in northern British Columbia, part of Northwest Territories and much of Yukon territory, Canada; a large number inhabit Alaska during that time.

Come winter, they migrate downward toward south-central and western BC, western Washington state, and a few localized areas in southern Idaho, northwestern Nebraska, northern Iowa and central Minnesota, north-central Colorado, and other sporadic places.

All of aforementioned winter locations most certainly endure very cold conditions during these months.

This day, 18 February 2009, it reached near 80 degrees in central Texas.

I wonder if these particular Trumpeter Swans were re-thinking this whole "two-inches thick downy layer" they possess.

This was a new bird for me. I was in Waco, while Heidi was in Abilene. Dublin is in between. I went to see these swans without Heidi.

Oh man, I hope this isn't a deal-breaker... ;-)

So if anyone wants to chime in on my behalf, in my defense, please feel free. Any opposite opinions will be strictly regulated. Kidding..... maybe.

Here are a few pictures I took of the two Trumpeter Swans in Dublin, TX:

-matt

No comments:

Post a Comment